I never know how to refer to the mother of my ex-husband. She died before I divorced her son. Sometimes I say “late ex-mother-in-law” and sometimes, when I’m with close friends and family, I say “the dumb-ass’s mother.” Regardless, she was a wise and witty woman. I loved her dearly and have forgiven her for raising that pathetic excuse for a man. Rarely does a day go by when I fail to think of her and remember some of her pithy sayings. Some of my favorites:

No woman is well dressed unless she’s wearing a little cat hair.

I’ve been so busy I’m behind on my drinking.


and

Every dish in the kitchen is dirty, so it must be time for dinner.

The last saying came to mind this evening as I was tinkering around in the kitchen, coming up with a tasty use for leftover pork roast. Did I say tinkering around? That tinkering resulted in a clogged sink (the one with the disposal, of course), a dishwasher full of dirty dishes, and a sink full of pots and pans that I can’t wash until Liquid Plumr does its thing. (Please God, make the Liquid Plumr do its thing. I can’t afford a solid, flesh-and-blood plumber.)

It all started with some leftover pork roast, and it resulted in a really delicious “Elevated Shepherd’s Pie.” This is not a quick and easy recipe, and although the finished product has the appearance of one-dish meal, it is anything but. It is, however, really tasty, if I do say so myself. And yes, I do. Say so. Myself.

As I relished my creation, I swear I heard my ex-husand’s late mother say something like,

Nothing made in one dish is worth eating

or

Quick and easy? You are what you eat, so strive for complex and worth-every-minute.

Mmmmmm …. yummy. She would have loved it. I'm just sayin ...

Elevated Shepherd’s Pie

3 to 4 cups leftover pork roast, shredded or chopped
2 medium sweet potatoes, cooked
1 large russet potato, cooked
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cloves garlic, or to taste
Milk, as needed
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1-1/2 cups diced turnips, cooked
1-1/2 cups diced carrots, cooked
½ cup frozen peas
1 can mushroom soup
1 tablespoon worscestershire sauce
Buttered bread crumbs, optional

Place pork in bottom of deep casserole and set aside.

Melt butter in a large skillet. Add garlic and sauté for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat.

Place cooked sweet potatoes and russet potato in a medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the melted butter/garlic mixture, and use electric mixture to blend, adding a little milk as needed to achieve a smooth, creamy consistency.

Return skillet to heat, and add onion. Saute 3 or 4 minutes until onion is translucent. Stir in soup and worcestershire sauce, and then add turnips, carrots, and peas. Stir to combine. Add to casserole. Spread mashed potatoes over top, and sprinkle with bread crumbs, if desired. Bake uncovered at 350 for about 30 minutes, until bubbly and heated through. Let sit 5 minutes, and serve.

Makes about 8 servings.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home