The Komen Foundation is engaged in the doo-doo dance. You know, when you step in a pile of dog poop and then you scuff around trying to get the crap off your shoes. It ain’t pretty. It’s almost impossible to do it gracefully. And if you do manage to clean your shoes, you’re still left with a pile of shit in your yard.

That’s what I thought when I studied today’s statement, in which Komen supposedly reversed its decision to de-fund Planned Parenthood, and apologized for casting doubt on its commitment.

When I first read the statement, I felt triumphant. The angry and indignant outcry from hundreds of thousands of former Komen supporters had been heard! But then I read it again, and got a whiff of something stinky. After reading it several times, and mulling it over for a few hours, I’ve come to the conclusion that Komen still has poop on its shoes, and it might never get its yard cleaned up.

Today’s statement was very carefully worded to make me feel like I’d won. And, feeling warm and fuzzy with victory, I’d be more likely to forgive and forget. And in the spirit of forgiveness, perhaps I would reconsider my vow to de-fund Komen. After all, they changed their minds, so shouldn’t I change mine? Shouldn’t we all just get back to the business at hand – protecting women’s health?

In reality, the statement didn’t offer much. It said Komen would “continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood …” But they never said they would take money away from Planned Parenthood, just that they would not approve future grants. Stinky.

In today’s statement, Komen also pledged to “preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants.” Well, of course anyone can apply for a grant, but that doesn’t mean Komen would actually consider the application. Smelly.

And while Komen has repeatedly denied that its decision to de-fund Planned Parenthood was political, today’s statement clearly pointed the political finger at those who cried foul. “We urge everyone who has participated in this conversation across the country over the last few days to help us move past this issue. We do not want our mission marred or affected by politics - anyone's politics.” We weren’t playing politics with women’s health, but if you don’t return to the fold, your politics is getting in the way of our mission. Reeking.

Perhaps I am being too harsh. Maybe I am too bitter to see this objectively. Could be. But I won’t apologize for that. It’s too personal. The betrayal is still too fresh. And Komen has a long way to go to restore my faith and regain my trust. And in the meantime, I have found alternatives in my personal fight against breast cancer.

I have discovered Forsyth Medical Center Foundation. Donations to this organization can be earmarked for breast cancer screening and treatment at Forsyth Medical Center facilities for uninsured women in nine North Carolina counties. Through its Women’s Council, the foundation addresses a variety of women’s health issues, and it sponsors a mobile mammogram unit to provide on-the-spot screenings in remote and underserved areas. Donors can even request their gift be used specifically by WomanWise, the breast and cervical cancer prevention program administered by Forsyth County Department of Public Health, which has provided me with free mammograms for the past three years that I have been uninsured.

Each and every penny donated to the foundation goes directly to patient care, and there are volunteer opportunities for those with more time than money. For more information go to http://www.forsythmedicalcenter.org/ and click “ways to give.”

I’ve also been reacquainted with the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Since 1936, BCRF has provided critical funding for research at leading medical centers worldwide, including Harvard, Yale, Duke, Johns Hopkins, the Mayo Clinic, Washington University in St. Louis, Stanford, UCLA, Oxford, and the University of London. More than 90 cents of every dollar donated goes directly to breast cancer research and awareness programs. For more information, see http://www.bcrfcure.org/index.html.

There is also the National Breast Cancer Foundation, created by a breast cancer survivor to promote early detection through screening, and to provide free mammograms to women in need. NBCF is highly rated as a charitable organization and has an impressive list of corporate and celebrity partners. See http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/default.aspx.

Information about these organizations is provided as a resource, and is not an endorsement. Haven’t we all learned to do our homework? I am sure there are many worthy organizations that are dedicated to breast cancer awareness and prevention and are working to find a cure. I hope to pass along information as I find it, and I encourage my allies in this fight to share their information with me as well.

The Breast Cancer Research Foundation estimates that in the U.S. a woman dies of breast cancer roughly every 13 minutes. That means that more than 300 women have died in America while the Komen Foundation played politics with their lives.

That stinks. I’m just sayin.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home